The Staff Accountant is responsible for the maintenance and analysis of assigned general ledger accounts, with focus in our Coverage Programs line of business. The Staff Accountant will be accountable for the reconciliation of the accounts and related schedules along with the timely preparation of monthly journal entries and track the activity in general ledger accounts and maintain supporting detail that accounts for the balances reflected in the month end closing. Other responsibilities will include documenting and maintaining general ledger accounting policies, procedures and workflows. This person will play a key role in the month end closing process and will also be responsible for identifying process improvement opportunities to gain operational efficiencies.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Assist in the execution of accounting processes and procedures for coverage programs. Writes new accounting procedures as needed.
- Prepare monthly billing of coverage program expenses to external parties.
- Calculate the quarterly transfer of Healthy San Francisco (HSF) funds to San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH).
- Maintain subsidiary detailed listings of contents of all Balance Sheet accounts.
- Identify month end variances, researches and reconciles differences.
- Prepare adjusting journal entries with supporting detail and submits to Finance Management for review and approval.
- Assist other department team members with questions raised through the monthly budget variance analysis process (BVA).
- Respond to special requests for financial data and analysis and for information on current and proposed projects and programs; interpret the results and formats to facilitate decision-making.
- Participate in the annual audit by assisting Finance management with the gathering of supporting documentation requested by the independent auditors. This work may include the testing of internal controls and documenting any weaknesses found.
- Perform research assignments, surveys and studies as they pertain to the SFHP budget or finances or in support of projects for our coverage programs.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field or equivalent work experience
- 1-3 years of successful accounting and financial reporting work experience
- Experience with Great Plains accounting software preferred
- Experience with a health care organization and/or a health plan is preferred
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting and cost control principles, including General Accepted Accounting Principles
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems
- Knowledge of federal, state and city financial regulations, is a plus
- Ability to analyze financial data
- Advanced analytical skills and problem solving skills with the ability to formulate and communicate recommendations for improvement
- Strong communication skills
- PC literacy required; MSOffice skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Established in 1994, San Francisco Health Plan (SFHP) is a an award winning, managed care health plan whose mission is to provide affordable health care coverage to the underserved low and moderate-income residents in San Francisco county. San Francisco Health Plan is chosen by eight out of every ten San Francisco Medi-Cal managed care enrollees and its 140,000+ members have access to a full spectrum of medical services including preventive care, specialty care, hospitalization, prescription drugs, and family planning services. SFHP was designed by and for the residents it serves, and takes great pride in its ability to accommodate a diverse population that includes young adults, seniors, and people with disabilities.
San Francisco Health Plan is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) M/F/D/V.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.