You can make a direct impact in the San Francisco communities. Here, at San Francisco Health Plan (SFHP), we are looking for a Social Determinants of Health Program Manager to join our Care Management Team.
The CDC defines Social Determinants of Health (SDOH) as, “the circumstances in which people are born, grow up, live, work and age, as well as the systems put in place to deal with illness. These circumstances are, in turn, shaped by a wider set of forces: economics, social policies, and politics.” (https://www.cdc.gov/socialdeterminants/index.htm)
San Francisco Health Plan’s Care Management department has prided itself on working with clients on all aspects of their lives, not just their medical needs. By focusing on addressing SDOH, we believe that we will be better able to support our members to improve their health and wellness.
The Social Determinants of Health Program Manager (SDOH PM) will work to elevate and formalize this work and strength partnerships with community based organizations which are focused on addressing SDOH. The SDOH PM will be responsible for developing relationships with key community based organizations as well as partner with city and community housing organizations to provide advocacy for our members as well as participate in policy development.
The SDOH PM should have experience working with individuals that are dealing with multiple barriers to health. Knowledge of Public Housing Authorities, housing subsidies, supportive housing and pathways to housing is ideal. This position will be based in the SFHP office and will require travel within San Francisco City and County to various housing organizations and policy meetings.
This Program Manager will report directly to the department’s Director and work in collaboration with the other Care Management Program Managers and Medical Director.
The SFHP Care Management department provides care management and care coordination for members of the health plan. The principal goal of all programs is to identify the right member for the right program at the right time. Most of our programs are community based and focused on assessing and addressing the holistic needs of our members including, but not limited to, medical, behavioral health, substance use, social support, and basic needs. We aim to develop, manage and evaluate program using data to support our members in reaching their optimal health and wellness.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Act as the subject matter expert in navigation of Social Determinants of Health (SDOH) agencies and interventions for all Care Management staff and SFHP providers
- Partner with SFHP’s Business Analytics and IT departments to identify community partners who can provide SDOH data that can be incorporated into our core systems
- Participate as a liaison between SFHP and the City and County Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing
- Actively participate in local housing committee meetings
- In partnership with CM department leadership develop a strategic plan to seamlessly incorporate SDOH into CM programs and department operations
- Network with other community agencies and coalitions
- Analyze SDOH policy trends as relevant to SFHP members; update team on relevant developments
- Forge relationships with local housing organizations, such as TNDC, Mercy Housing, Dolores Street Community Services, and CHP to develop and implement an integration plan of housing and health care
- Provide advocacy for SFHP through agencies such as the Mayor’s Office of Homelessness and Supportive Housing as well as other community agencies and coalitions
- Develop relationships with homeless service providers such as Direct Access to Housing (DAH), SF Homeless Outreach (HOT) Team, Medical Respite, Navigation Centers, Compass Family Services, shelters, and others
- Cultivate relationships with key community agencies, such as; Project Open Hand, Paratransit, Jail Health, Positive Resource Center, Goodwill, and La Raza Centro Legal.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures addressing SDOH as needed
- Create housing resource and process documentation and update it regularly to be utilized by both the SFHP Care Management department and contracted community case management programs.
- Regular communication, both written and oral, to relevant internal and external parties
- Provide consultations with Community Coordinators on pathways to connecting to strategic community agencies that address SDOH options and track barriers to access
- Outreach to community groups, policy experts, legislators, realtors, landlords, housing developers and other service providers to identify new and existing opportunities and build strong relationships to better assist clients
- Attend meet and greets as requested by providers in order to inform them about Care Management services.
- Develop and manage monthly/quarterly reports as required from automated systems
- Actively participate as a member of the SFHP Care Management team, providing input and creative strategies to address health issues and promote wellness; advises on social determinants of health
- Complete all required documentation in a timely fashion in accordance with regulations and office standards.
- Interface with SFHP Health Outcomes Improvement, Clinical Operations and Pharmacy teams
- Participate in regularly scheduled staff development trainings and assist with developing training materials as needed. Attend and participate in regularly scheduled supervision meetings.
- Positively represent the program to internal and external customers
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- Minimum one year experience in community based outreach
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent work experience with community organizations; MSW or MPH preferred
- Experience working with people with mental illness, addiction issues, and/or homelessness; cultural knowledge and sensitivity to the population being served
- Experience with Medi-Cal and/or Department of Health Care Services regulations and standards preferred
- Experience with policy development and/or implementation
- Knowledge of and experience with state and federal insurance programs a plus
- Knowledge of community resources in San Francisco
- Basic medical knowledge including the ability to recognize social and medical risk factors, mental illness and addiction issues
- Knowledge of trauma symptoms and behaviors, and chronic disease conditions
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient use of common Microsoft Word applications such as Word, Excel, Outlook and Access
- Experience with automated charting/case management system a plus
- Strong organization skills
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from our members or providers
- Ability to engage and work collaboratively with others, clinical team members and community resources
San Francisco Health Plan (SFHP) is a an award winning, managed care health plan whose mission is to provide affordable health care coverage to the underserved low and moderate-income residents in San Francisco county. San Francisco Health Plan is chosen by eight out of every ten San Francisco Medi-Cal managed care enrollees and its 145,000+ members have access to a full spectrum of medical services including preventive care, specialty care, hospitalization, prescription drugs, and family planning services. SFHP was designed by and for the residents it serves, and takes great pride in its ability to accommodate a diverse population that includes young adults, seniors, and people with disabilities.
San Francisco Health Plan is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) M/F/D/V.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.