The Staff Accountant will ensure the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating and entering transactions. The Staff Accountant is responsible for general ledger account reconciliations and account analysis, documenting/maintaining accounting policies and procedures, medical claims disbursement processing, QNXT desktop procedures and core function workflows.
Additional responsibilities will include overall general ledger accountability, financial analyses, financial reporting and other special projects as assigned. Staff Accountant will also assist in performing financial, project and statistical analysis needed to support decision making by executive management and senior staff. The incumbent participates in the month end closing process and is also responsible for identifying process improvement opportunities to gain operational efficiencies.
WHAT YOU WILLDO
- Take ownership of the medical claims processing disbursement cycle.
- Distribute physical checks for signature as required.
- Sets up ACH payment transactions in the banking software for those providers who have elected to be paid electronically.
- Prepare remittance advices for both mailing and electronic distribution to providers and ensures mailing of physical checks and remittance advices.
- Maintain existing accounting policies and procedures, QNXT desktop procedures, Great Plains desktop procedures, and core function workflows. Write new accounting policies and procedures when needed.
- Prepare monthly general ledger account reconciliations and account analysis. G/L account reconciliations will include documenting the makeup of account balances, researching differences between G/L balances and supporting detail and, if necessary, preparing adjusting journal entries.
- Respond to special requests for financial data and analysis and for information on current and proposed projects and programs; interpret results and formats to facilitate decision-making.
- Participate in the annual audit by assisting the Accounting Manager or Senior Budget and Reporting Analyst with the gathering of supporting documentation requested by the independent auditors. This work may include the testing of internal controls and documenting any weaknesses found.
- Performs research assignments, surveys and studies as they pertain to the SFHP budget or finances.
- Perform other finance projects and tasks as assigned by the Director of Accounting or Manager of Accounting including, but not limited to, payroll, capitation disbursements to SFHP Providers, claims disbursements and accounting for the Healthy San Francisco program.
- Author documents circulated outside of the department.
- Prepare presentation materials.
- Present material at knowledge-sharing sessions.
- Represent Finance on cross-functional project teams.
- Interact with SFHP Providers and DHCS.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field or equivalent work experience
- 1 – 3 years of successful accounting and financial reporting work experience
- Experience with a health care organization and/or a health plan preferred
- Understanding the concept of Provider capitation as well as experience with capitation disbursement is a plus
- Experience with medical claims disbursement is a plus
- Experience with QNXT software is a plus
- Knowledge and experience in automated financial and accounting reporting systems, ADP payroll software and Great Plains accounting software is a plus
- Experience in promoting teamwork and encouraging innovative thinking and ideas
- Extensive knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting and cost control principles, including General Accepted Accounting Principles and financial reporting requirements
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
- Working knowledge of short and long term budgeting and forecasting, rolling budgets, product-line analysis, and prepare and manage budgets
- Knowledge of federal, state and city financial regulations
- Strong organization, time management and project management skills and multi-tasking abilities
- Advanced analytical skills and problem solving skills with the ability to formulate and communicate recommendations for improvement
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- MS Office skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Established in 1997, San Francisco Health Plan (SFHP) is a an award winning, managed care health plan whose mission is to provide affordable health care coverage to the underserved low and moderate-income residents in San Francisco county. San Francisco Health Plan is chosen by eight out of every ten San Francisco Medi-Cal managed care enrollees and its 140,000+ members have access to a full spectrum of medical services including preventive care, specialty care, hospitalization, prescription drugs, and family planning services. SFHP was designed by and for the residents it serves, and takes great pride in its ability to accommodate a diverse population that includes young adults, seniors, and people with disabilities.
San Francisco Health Plan is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) M/F/D/V.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.